11 Apr 2016
How to prevent Chronic Dehydration
It is very easy to prevent chronic dehydration by making a few alteration in our daily lifestyle.
- Making conscious efforts to consume 2 to 2.5 litres of fluids in the day.This includes water, tea, coffee, butter milk and other beverages too. We should not consume more than 3.7 litres of fluids as this would then put excess pressure on our kidneys.
- Increase intake of Fruits and Vegetables in our diet regular diet. Fruits and vegetables are known to have a higher water content than other foods and hence help us be properly hydrated.
- Avoid Sugary drinks, cold drinks and other carbonated beverages. We have a thirst for fluids which can be quenched by plain water. Whenever thirsty always try to drink plain water rather than sugary and carbonated beverages.
- Avoid drinking excess coffee. Coffee has caffeine which is a known diuretic [chemical which increases urine output]. Hence by avoiding excess coffee, we can prevent excessive loss of water from the body.
- Alcohol consumption also causes similar effects as caffeine and hence must be avoided as much as possible.
- Drink sufficient water before and after exercise to prevent loss of fluids.