Introduction & Saturated Fats
WHAT ARE FATS AND OILS?
Fats are one of the three main types of nutrients in food; the other two are proteins and Carbohydrates. Lipids, is the term used to describe both, Fats and Oils. In the diet liquid form of Fats are called OILS.
PROBLEMS ASSOCIATED WITH EXCESS CONSUMPTION OF FATS/OILS
Excess consumption of Fats or oils causes many health problems, such as:
- Weight gain. [Obesity]
- High blood pressure. [Hypertension]
- Blockage of arteries. [Atherosclerosis]
- Heart Attacks. [Myocardial Infarction]
- High cholesterol levels
- Joint swellings and joint pains
- Different types of cancers
What are Saturated Fats?
Saturated fats are those fats which are in solid form at room temperature. They are a very good source of energy but carry the risk of developing many health problems in us.
What are the sources of Saturated Fats?
- Dessicated coconut