WHAT ARE UNSATURATED FATS?
Unsaturated Fats are always in liquid form at room temperature, hence we call them oils. Unsaturated fats are mainly of two types:
- Monounsaturated Fats [MUFA]
- Polyunsaturated Fats [PUFA]
Sources Of Monounsaturated Fats In Our Diet
- Olive oil
- Avocado oil
- Groundnut oil
- Pumpkin seeds
Both MUFA and PUFA are known to be safer varieties of Fats in our diet and they also have some health benefits:
- Reduce Blood cholesterol levels
- Reduce risk of getting heart problems like Heart attacks
- Lowers risk of getting cancers
- Helps in weight loss
Omega-3 AND Omega-6 are the 2 main types of Polyunsaturated Fats present in our diet. Omega 3 and Omega 6 are called essential fatty acids because they are not present in our body. They are present in the oils that we consume. The ratio of Omega-6: Omega-3 in the oils that we consume is important. The ideal ratio is 4:1. Ratio of Omega 6: Omega 3 in commonly used oils
|NAME OF OIL||OMEGA-6:OMEGA-3 4:1(IDEAL)|
|FISH OIL||NO OMEGA-6 ONLY OMEGA-3|
|FLAXSEED OIL||1: 3.1|
|CANOLA OIL||1.9 :1|
[toggles title=”CLICK TO KNOW MORE ABOUT Benefits of Omega 3″]
|Blood pressure||Reduces risk of raised BP|
|Diabetes||Reduces risk of Diabetes|
|Heart Attacks||Protects from Heart Attacks|
|Blockage of Blood vessels||Reduces risk of blockage of vessels|
|Weight Gain||Less chance of obesity|
|Blood Cholesterol||Reduces bad Cholesterol|
|Asthma||Reduces chances of Asthama attack|
|Cancer||Protects from Cancers|
[toggles title=”CLICK TO KNOW MORE ABOUT Adverse effects of Omega 6″]
|Blood pressure||Increases risk of High BP|
|Diabetes||Increases risk of Diabetes|
|Heart Attacks||Increases risk of Heart Attacks|
|Blockage of Blood vessels||Increases risk of blockage of vessels|
|Weight Gain||High chances of Obesity|
|Blood Cholesterol||Increases bad Cholesterol|
|Asthma||Increases chances of Asthama attack|
|Cancer||Increases Risk of Cancers|
Sources of Omega-3 in diet The dietary sources of Omega-3 are,
- Fish and fish oils
- Flaxseeds and Flaxseed oil
- Pecan seeds
- It is true that Omega-6 has lots of bad effects on our health if eat it in excess.
- But when it is taken along with Omega-3 in certain ratio then and then only it works as an essential fatty acid.
- The ideal ratio of Omega-6 to Omega 3 is 4:1.
- It is very difficult to find any oil having this ideal ratio.
- Hence, it is recommended to choose a cooking oil with ratio of omega 6 to omega 3 as close as to the ideal ratio.