ROLE VITAMIN-C PLAYS IN PREVENTION AND/ TREATMENT OF HEALTH CONDITIONS PART-I
- PREVENTION OF COMMON COLD:
Vitamin-C plays a crucial role in boosting of our immune system. It improves the capacity of our immune system to fight against viral infections which prevents the repeated infections like Common Cold, especially when the person is facing physical stress or changing environmental conditions (Seasonal changes).
- WOUND HEALING AFTER INJURY/SURGERY:
Synthesis and accumulation of Collagen (A cementing substance) at the site of wound gives a tensile strength to the damaged tissue which is necessary for proper wound healing. Vitamin-C stimulates the synthesis of collagen thus; adequate amount of Vitamin-C is necessary for healing of wound after injury or after surgery.
- PREVENTION OF IRON DEFICIENCY AND ANAEMIA:
Vitamin-C is used as an adjuvant in the prevention and treatment of Anaemia due to Iron deficiency. Vitamin-C enhances the absorption of Non-Heme Iron from food we eat (Iron from Non-animal/vegetable sources); thus, it protects against the development Anaemia due Iron deficiency.
- MANGEMENT OF THE MALE INFERTILITY:
Vitamin C can be used along with other medicinesfor the management of male infertility. Vitamin-C deficiency may result in the accumulation of harmful chemicals and molecules like reactive oxygen species (Free radical) in the seminal fluid, which can lead to:
- Oxidative damage and degenerative changes in male reproductive organs (Testes, Epididymis).
- Decline in the concentration of Male Sex Hormone – Testosterone.
- Damage to the quality and parameters of the human sperms.
Vitamin-C being a strong antioxidant can nullify these toxic chemicals and molecules (Reactive oxygen species/free radicals) and prevent their deleterious effects on Male reproductive organs and seminal fluid thus; it is necessary and can be used in the management of Male infertility.
- PREVENTION OF CARDIOVASCULAR DISEASES AND STROKE:
Human body is under continuous fight against different kinds of stress e.g. physical, chemical, emotional, environmental, etc. This results in the accumulation of harmful chemicals and molecules like reactive oxygen species/free radicals in the blood. If these toxic molecules are not effectively neutralized, they tend react with bad cholesterol (LDL cholesterol) in the blood. If the level of bad cholesterol in blood is higher then these molecules bring about certain changes into it, and increase its propensity to form plaques inside the Lumen of blood vessels (Atherosclerosis). Formation of plaques narrows the Lumen of blood the vessel and increases the risk of cardiovascular diseases and stroke due to inadequate supply of oxygen and nutrition through blood. Vitamin-C being an antioxidant can nullify these free radicals/ reactive oxygen species and reduces the chances of formation of plaques from LDL (BAD) cholesterol within the Lumen of blood vessels. This way it can help in the prevention of Cardiovascular diseases and Stroke.
Vitamin-C can prevent and protect us from different types of Cancers. High intake of stroke Vitamin C (High dietary intake of fruits and vegetables) is associated with a low risk of suffering from cancer of Esophagus, Oral cavity, Stomach, Pancreas, Cervix, Rectum and Breast, Lung, larynx, etc. The proposed mechanisms through which Vitamin-C can help in the prevention of cancers are:
- Enhancing/boosting the immune system.
- Stimulating the formation of collagen which helps in wound healing in cancer patients after surgery.
- preventing metastasis (spread of cancer cells throughout the body) by inhibiting the enzymes (Chemicals) that are responsible for it.
- Preventing the infection from viruses that can cause cancer.
- Presence of sufficient Vitamin-C enhances the effectiveness of chemotherapy and also reduce the toxicity of chemotherapy.
- Being an antioxidant, it prevents damaging action of harmful chemicals and molecules like free radicals on human bodyand alsoneutralizes some carcinogens (Cancer causing compounds).
- When Vitamin-C is present in the body at high concentrations it prevents the growth of different types of cancer cells and can also lead to the tumour shrinkage.
When Vitamin-C is given as a medicine at a very high dose in an injection form,it gets accumulated within the body. This high concentration of Vitamin-C in the body might help in treating the difficult-to-treat tumours. At higher concentrations Vitamin-C may act as a pro-oxidant instead of antioxidant and generate hydrogen peroxide (H2O2) that has selective toxicity toward cancer cells and can kill the tumour cells. Thus; according to the researchers Vitamin-C can be helpful in the treatment of cancer.
- PREVENTION OF COMPLICATIONS DUE TO DIABETES MELLITUS:
High blood sugar level in both types (Type-I &II) Diabetes Mellitus is associated with formation of harmful chemicals and molecules like reactive oxygen Species and free radicals within the body. These chemicals put human body under Oxidative stress. Excessive Oxidative stress is associated with the development of harmful changes within the blood vessels all over the body especially in Kidney, Retina (Eyes), Heart and Nerves. If this stress continues for a prolonged period, then it can cause damage to these important organs which can lead to the dysfunctioning of these organs e.g. Kidneys (Diabetic Nephropathy), Eyes (Diabetic Retinopathy), Nerves (Neuropathy), Heart (Heart attack), which can culminate into hazardous situations like Kidney failure, blindness, heart attack, etc.
Vitamin-C being an antioxidant can nullify these free radical and reactive oxygen species and reduce the oxidative stress. By this action it helps in the prevention of Complications (In kidney, Eye, Heart, Nerves) associated with Diabetes mellitus. Some studies and researches suggest that sufficient levels of Vitamin-C can even prevent the development of Diabetes Mellitus.